What’s cool, fresh and always welcome in Summer (and no...the answer is not yours truly). Why, it is a cold noodle salad piglets. Whipped up with simple yet crunchy ingredients, this satisfying number is the kind of meal that you can throw together in a breezy chiffon number with very little effort and ingredients on trotter.
It would also be great for when one is told (the dreadful words) to “just bring a salad” so that you stand out from the garden salad bringers. This salad would be delightful served with a crispy piece of salmon and it would also be wonderful on a picnic. This salad, in other words, is an all rounder, great party guest and what everyone will love (now that sounds like, the very humble, yours truly). Oink.
Sweet Corn, Snow Pea & Cool Sesame Noodle Salad
Feeds: 2 Piglets as a main or 4 Piglets as a side.
Prep Time: 20 Mins. Cooking Time: 3 Mins.
Ingredients of Cool Delightfulness:
1 x Sweet Corn
¼ x Red Cabbage
150g x Snowpeas
½ x Spring Onion Bunch
100g x Dried Rice Noodles
1 x Lime
30g x Mint
Ingredients of Dressing Delightfulness:
2 x Tbs Sesame Oil
1 x Tsp Rice Wine Vinegar
1 x Tbs Teriyaki Sauce
1 x Tbs Sesame Seeds (plus a little extra for visual scattering at the end)
Method for Cold Salad Delightfulness:
- Fill a kettle and pop him on to boil.
- Pop your rice noodles in a small bowl and once the kettle has boiled, completely cover your rice noodles (100g) with boiling water. Leave to soak for 2-3 mins or until the noodles are soft. Drain and then rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process – no one likes a soggy noodle.
- Pop a small pot of water onto boil. Once boiled, pull the green jacket off your corn (1) and chop him in half. Allow to boil for 3-5 minutes or until a bright golden colour and hot to trot (i.e. cooked).
- Chop the tops and tails of your snow peas (150g) and then stack a few on top of each other and finely slice into long ribbons (don’t whinge about this piglets, you’re not doing anything better with your time whilst you wait for the corn and noodles are you!?).
- Very finely slice your cabbage ( ¼ ) into thin wispy strips.
- Slice your spring onion ( ½ ) on an angle into small angular circles (if you can’t achieve this don’t panic piglet, it’s only your presentation that will be disappointed).
- Take mint leaves (30g) off the stem, roll them all together and gently slice them.
- Cut your lime (1) into ready-to-squeeze quarters.
- Once your corn is ready, take out of the boiling water and run under cold water so that you don’t burn your trotters in the next step.
- Get your corn and with a sharp knife, run it down the cob to shave off his lovely golden kernels.
- Place your drained noodles in a bowl and pour over your sesame seeds (1 Tbs), teriyaki sauce (1 Tbs), rice wine vinegar (1 Tsp) and sesame oil (2 Tbs) and give it all a lovely mix around.
- Now on a big platter gently mix together your cabbage, snow peas, mint, dressed noodles & corn kernels.
- Top with your spring onion and a few scatterings of sesame seeds if you have them and serve with a flourish (or with a cooked salmon fillet – whichever is more accessible). Now that’s cool, summer goodness piglets. Oink.