This Little Pig has never believed in the idea of using fish in wraps or sandwiches. Why? This fine swine hears you ask. Purely because it always seemed like such a waste of an expensive and slightly fancy thing to be just slapping it into a bread roll or wrap like a common piece of ham. However recently This Little Pig pushed its misgivings aside, made up some spiced salmon wraps and literally had it’s mind blown out of the water. It was amazing! So..this fine swine has had to eat humble pie (and it was delicious) about having fish in wraps and if you’re of the same mentality, put aside your judgment oh judgmental swine, because boy oh boy are you going to be pleasantly surprised.
This meal is just 11/10. The salmon is juicy and delightful, the avocado and yoghurt dressing is slightly spicy (but in a nice warm way – like the warm smile you give a puppy or a relatively cute baby) and creamy and then you have the fabulous crunch of the slaw. So roll up your summer singlet and prepare for a wave of deliciousness like no other. PS. Did we mention it’s gloriously quick and easy too? No? Well it is. So there you go. Oink.
Spiced Salmon Wraps with Avocado Yoghurt Dressing & Crunchy Slaw.
Feeds: 2 Hungry Piglets.
Prep Time: 10 Mins. Cooking Time: 5 Mins.
Ingredients of Wrap Deliciousness:
2 x Salmon Fillets – skin on
¼ x Red Cabbage
¼ x Red Onion
1 x Coriander Bunch
4 x Flatbreads (This Little Pig likes Effe Flatbread)
Ingredients of Yoghurt Dressing Delight:
½ x Cup Natural Yoghurt
½ x Avocado
1 x Coriander Bunch
1 x Tbs Jalapenos (this gives it a gentle warmth – add more if you’re a spicy swine)
1 x Lime
Ingredients of Salmon Marination Station:
½ Tsp x Paprika
½ Tsp x Cumin
¼ Tsp x Salt
½ Tsp x Brown Sugar
3 x Tbs Peanut Oil
Method of Wrap Amazingness:
- In a bowl mix your paprika (½ Tsp), cumin (½ Tsp), salt (¼ Tsp), brown sugar (½ Tsp) & peanut oil (3 Tbs) together and then massage into your salmon fillets. Set them aside to rest, relax and reflect on the journey ahead.
- Finely dice your jalapenos (1 Tbs) & halve your avocado – wrap up one half and pop in the fridge to eat at breakfast tomorrow or make a face mask out of or whatever. With your remaining half, whip out the pip and slice into cubes.
- In a small whizzy stick pot (technical term – unknown) or a blender, combine your avocado (½), Yoghurt (½ Cup), coriander (1 Bunch) – stems as well as leaves but not the roots, Jalapenos (1 Tbs) & lime (just squeeze in half for now). Whiz together until it is a smooth green paste that tastes sensational (you may need a little more lime, just see how you like the taste).
- Finely slice your cabbage (¼) into thin strips, pull the coriander leaves (1 bunch) off the stems, finely slice your red onion (¼) and gently mix together ready to serve.
- Heat a fry pan until smoking hot (a bit like This Little Pig) and add your salmon fillets skin side down. Cook for around 2-3 mins on each side or until juuuust cooked through (don’t want it to be translucent). You can tell by poking it – if it’s a bit springy but not spongy….it’s most probably ready.
- Pop your salmon aside in a bowl covered with a plate to rest whilst you give the kitchen a little spritz and try and get rid of the “I cooked salmon” smell that now lingers in your home (Tip: spritz the benches with a spray n wipe, can also spritz pets, children, guests and partners with said spray n wipe).
- Lay out your flatbreads (you may want to warm gently in the microwave for 30 seconds before serving) and dollop out some of your amazing avocado yoghurt dressing. Pull your salmon into chunks and add to the wrap and then finish with your cabbage, coriander and red onion slaw. Wrap this up and prepare yourself for a delight so amazing that you might feel the earth shift just a tiny bit. Oink.