What’s cool, refreshing and welcome anytime? No, it’s not This Little Pig (although that is true too yes) it is in actual fact a chilled pickled cucumber salad. With the weather making everyone feel like they’re wearing a thick polyester jumper at all times, this fine swine thought it was time to whip up a quick and cool salad. This is crunchy, cooling and most of all quick-as-a-whip to make. This Little Pig recommends serving it with chilled soba noodles and hot chunks of teriyaki salmon for an easy summer nights dinner. Wow, that does sound fantastic. Agreed.
Chilled Pickled Cucumber Salad
Feeds: 2 Hungry Piglets a side dish.
Prep Time: 10 Mins. Cooking Time. O Minutes (that’s right zero piglets)
*Note: best prepared an hour before hand so you can pop into the fridge to chill.
Ingredients of summertime glory:
4 x Lebanese Cucumbers
1 x Spring Onion Bunch
1 x Lime
1 x Chilli
1 x Coriander Bunch
1 x Tbs Sesame Seeds (would be lovely toasted and hot)
Dressing of Champions:
1 x Tbs Sugar
½ x Tsp Salt
3 x Tbs Rice Wine Vinegar
1 x Tbs Sesame Oil
Method of Cool Summertime Glory:
- Take your sugar (1 Tbs), salt (½ Tsp), rice wine vinegar (3 Tbs) and Sesame Oil (1 Tbs) and whisk together in a small bowl until the salt and sugar has dissolved.
- Slice your cucumbers (4) into small discs and arrange extravagantly onto a platter.
- Slice your spring onion (1 bunch) into thin circles and finely dice your coriander (1 bunch).
- Roll your chilli between your hands like playdough snake and then chop off his head aggressively and smack him upside down until all his seeds fall out yelling “get out, get out right now!”
- Now finely dice or slice him (depending on how much you like chilli you will need between ¼ to a whole one).
- Scatter your coriander, chilli, sesame seeds (1 Tbs), spring onion and give it all a good squeeze over with your lime.
- Pour over your dressing and pop into the fridge to chill until ready to serve.
- Now that is crunchy summertime magic. Oink.