There are few ingredients in the world that bacon does not go with and this recipe is no exception. It’s just a real classic mid-week dinner that This Little Pig’s mum used to make her four piglets (that’s right FOUR) to fill up their tum’s and produce squeals of delight. It’s simple fare but one cannot live the year on oysters and champagne alone, one must have sustenance and this comes in the form of pasta, pasta and more pasta.
Anyway, this fine swine is not going to bang on about it, partly because this fine swine has not had its coffee yet, but also because it is what it is and that is…incredibly delicious. No more needs to be said. So, roll up your midweek sleeves and throw this fabulous quick and easy pasta into a pan and be sure to serve it on a big platter in the middle of the table to make the midweek a little bit more special. Oink.
Chicken, Bacon and Mushroom Angel Hair Spaghetti
Feeds: 4 Hungry Piglets.
Prep Time: 10 Mins. Cooking Time: 20 Mins.
Ingredients of Pasta Glory:
200g x Bacon
400g x Chicken – diced (get your butcher to do this job)
300g x Mushrooms
3 x Garlic Cloves
1 x Red Onion
2 x Tbs Dried Mixed Italian Herbs
3 x Tbs Olive Oil
1 x 700ml Jar of Tomato Passata
1 x Cup of White Wine
Angel hair pasta for 3/4 about half a packet – This Little Pig can never get it right either.
Grated Parmesan Cheese – for excessive sprinkling at the end
Method of Pasta Glory:
- Finely dice bacon (200g).
- Skin and dice onion (1) and garlic (3).
- Slice up mushrooms (300g).
- Dice chicken (400g) (but you should just get your butcher to do it because they’re good at it and then you don't need to scrub the chopping board #lazyswine.
- Heat a pot with boiling water ready for your pasta.
- Drop your bacon and olive oil into a large frypan and bring to a high heat. Cook the bacon until crispy and then add in your garlic and onion and stir through.
- Add you chicken in after a minute and stir around.
- At this point the pan is potentially starting to get a bit sticky so lavishly pour in about ½ a cup of white wine to deglaze the bottom of the pan and get all those magical bacon-ey bits off the bottom of the pan before it turns into a blackened hell pot.
- Stir-fry until the chicken is no longer translucent on the outside, then add in your mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms have softened and shrunk (“mushroom, mushroom where fore art thou?!” You could call out if you’re in a Shakespearian mood/have drunk the rest of the wine in the time it took to get this far) and the chicken is aaaallmost cooked through.
- Now mix through your dried Italian herbs (2 Tbs) & then stir in your tomato passata jar with ½ a cup of wine. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer or turn off if he tastes juuuust right (ie. not too acidic from the wine).
- Drop your angel hair pasta into the boiling pot of water and cook until al dente (don’t overdo this sucker as it gets all clumpy and unkind).
- Once your pasta is cooked, drain him and then lay out on a large platter.
- In the centre pile on your incredible bacon, chicken and mushroom sauce goodness. Finish with a lavish scattering of parmesan and a scrunch of pepper and present to the table with a garish “taddaaaaaaaaaa” and wait for the slow clap to start from your family. Who said midweek meals need to be slapped down in single bowls? Certainly not This Little Pig. *warning –if you are not feeding four piglets, after serving, remove platter immediately from table to avoid mindlessly eating of the other portions of pasta.