Not only is This Little Pig’s dietitian Amelia extremely clever, bright, funny and occasionally (read regularly) a little bit weird, she is also an absolute whiz when it comes to creating beautiful vegetarian salads. Just the other day Amelia sent this beauty through to this fine swine and whilst she didn’t recommend serving it with a slow roasted lamb shoulder, This Little Pig couldn’t help itself. So if you would like to try this amazing and crazily quick salad with the lamb shoulder – click the link HERE to learn how easy a slow roasted lamb shoulder can be.
If you are a grazing herbivore however, just scroll down and be totally delighted in this delicious crunchy, chewy, moreish salad that will literally have you saying wow, wow, wow as you shove giant forkfuls into your mouth. Enjoy piglets. Oink!
Ancient Grain Salad
Feeds: 2 Very Hungry Piglets as a whole meal.
Prep Time: 10 Mins. Cooking Time: 10 Mins.
Ingredients of Salad Glory:
1 x Coriander Bunch
1 x Mint Bunch
½ x Red Onion
1 x Lemon
1 x Cup Freekah (cracked wheat)
1 x Can of lentils
2 x Tbs Pumpkin Seeds
2 x Tbs Slivered Almonds (these would be nice toasted if you have the time)
½ x Cup Cranberries
2 x Tbs Baby Capers
½ x Preserved Lemon Quarter (20g)
Ingredients of Glorious Yoghurt Dressing
1/2 x Cup Natural Greek Yoghurt
1 x Tsp cumin Seeds
1 x Tbs honey
Method of Glory:
- Fill a pot with cold water and pour in your freekah (1 Cup) and bring to the boil. Allow to boil until the freekah is cooked through (soft but still a little chewy), then drain well.
- Finely dice your red onion (1/2), preserved lemon (20g), coriander (1 Bunch) & Mint (1 Bunch).
- Cut your lemon into quarters.
- Drain your lentils and give them a good spritz in a colander.
- Mix all your ingredients together, want the list? Okay then fine, mix your diced coriander, mint, red onion, preserved lemon & your capers, lentils, drained freekeh all together in a beautiful serving platter. Scatter over your cranberries (1/2 cup), slivered almonds (2 Tbs) and pumpkin seeds (2 Tbs) and squeeze over your lemon just before serving.
Method of Salad Dressing Glory:
- In a small bowl, mix your honey (1 Tbs) and cumin seeds (1/2) Tsp through your yoghurt (1/2 Cup).
To serve the magic:
- Pop your lovely lentil salad onto a beautiful platter and drizzle over your delicious salad dressing. If you have taken the option of adding a slow roasted lamb shoulder, then shred it over the salad and drizzle the dressing over the lamb. This is seriously good stuff piglets. Thanks Amazing Amelia, Oink!