A few years ago This Little Pig was lying on the couch with one trotter dangling over the edge, dealing with the effects of a quiet Christmas party gone awry. Blearily This Little Pig watched its housemate gently stir a pot of beetroot relish with love, preparing Christmas favours for all her family and friends. Now at the time this flattened swine was thinking, “that looks like a lot of effort – just head to Simon and Johnson you energetic fool.” However over time This Little Pig has had a change of heart and come to the conclusion that homemade goodies really are the most divine present AND to top it all off they don’t take up too much room in people’s homes (just their bellies). Remember no house filling junk this year piglets!
Beetroot relish is one of the top gifts a swine can make for their loved one’s, as it is delicious, versatile and you can smother it on any run-of-the-mill meal to make it a gourmet delight. Now it’s not too tricky and it is rather fun to make, so pop on an apron piglets (you’re going to need it with all that beetroot splatters flying around the kitchen) and make a delicious imprint on your friends and family this Christmas. Oink!
Feeds: 4-6 Hungry Piglets as Presents
Prep Time: 15 Mins. Cooking Time: 30-40 Mins.
Ingredients for Festive Fabulousness:
500g x Beetroot
1 x Cup Brown Sugar
4 x Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
1 x Large Red Shallot or Medium Brown Onion
1 x Green Apple
¼ x Tsp Ground Coriander
¼ x Tsp All Spice
1 x Tbs Vegetable Oil
How to Make Festive Fabulousness:
- Peel Beetroots and chop off their heads.
- Either grab a strong man to grate all your beetroots or use a food processor (this lazy swine found the food processor first) to grate your beetroots coarsely.
- Grate your green apple (keeping the skin on).
- Finely dice your red shallot.
- Throw your all spice (¼ Tsp) and ground coriander (¼ Tsp) into a fry pan and stir until starting to smoke.
- Pour in your vegetable oil (1 Tbs) and get it bubbling.
- Pop in your diced onion and stir until the onion becomes translucent.
- Now pour in your grated beetroot, apple and mix through the onion.
- Once mixed, scatter over your brown sugar (1 Cup), pour in your apple cider vinegar (2 Tbs) and 1 cup of water.
- Bring to the boil and allow to bubble away, adding a little more water if needed.
- Reduce heat to a medium simmer, place the lid onto the pan and add between 1-2 more cups of water over the next 20-30 mins, stirring occasionally. You want a nice moist relish without too much water.
- Cook until the beetroot deepens in colour and becomes soft to nibble on ;).
- Place your relish once lightly cooled into your sanitized jars (see link here for more details on that) and then pop on delightful labels and sprint out the door to your family function looking glamorous, chic and OH so thoughtful with relish in hand. Oink.