Bacon & Egg sandwiches have got to be up there in the top ten of This Little Pig’s all time breakfast faves. It’s filling, it’s bacon-ey and it’s bloody delicious! On an average big breakfast morning, This Little Pig will slather it’s bread with some aioli, lazily drop some rashers of bacon into the frying pan and crack in an egg or two, nothing too spesh.
However on a weekend when This Little Pig is feeling particularly ravenous and/or energetic, this fine swine has a secret weapon to take bacon and eggs to a whole new glorious level (this level is called “phwwooarrrrr” level). So roll up your sleeves, whip out your free-range bacon related humour and start cooking this fabulous breakfast treat!
Gourmet Bacon & Egg Sandwich with Smokey BBQ Relish.
Feeds: 2 Hungry Piglets
Prep Time: 15 Mins. Cooking Time: 20 Mins.
Smokey BBQ Relish
- 1 x Tbs Olive Oil
- 2 x Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 x Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
- 7 x Tbs Tomato Sauce
- 1 x Brown Onion
- 3 x Garlic Cloves
- 2 x Bay Leaves
- 1 x Tbs (heaped) Paprika
- 1 x Tbs (heaped) brown sugar
- ½ x Tsp Chilli flakes (if you like it hot to trot)
Other Elements Needed for Deliciousness:
- 6 x Rashers of Free Range Bacon
- 4 x Free Range Eggs
- 4 x Thick Slices of Sourdough Bread
- 1 x Garlic Clove
- ¼ x Kale Bunch
- 2 x Tomatoes
- Butter for slathering (if that’s your thing)
- ¼ x Lemon
How to Head to Heaven for Breakfast:
Smoky BBQ Relish:
- Skin and very finely dice your onion and garlic.
- Heat olive oil (1 Tbs) in the pan and then drop in your onion and garlic and cook until it has turned translucent.
- Wrap a scarf around your face (*no This Little Pig is not pulling your trotter – you won’t regret following this step) and scatter your paprika (1 Tbs), brown sugar (1 Tbs), chilli flakes (1/2 Tsp) – if you like spice & your bay leaves (2) into the pan. Stir continuously until it is caramelized and the onion and garlic are soft (or until you can’t stand the choking feeling from the cooked paprika getting in your throat).
- Now pour in your apple cider vinegar (2 Tbs) and stir through before adding in your tomato sauce (7 Tbs) & Worcestershire sauce (2 Tbs) then stir through until caramelized and gorj.
- Set aside ready for your fabulous sandwiches – excess can be stored in a clean, airtight jar in the fridge for future use during the week.
The Other Inner Stuffing of The Sandwich:
- Slice your tomato into thin circles. Chop off the stalks of your kale and rip mr kale into bite sized pieces.
- Peel and slice your garlic clove in half and rub all over your bread (especially along the crusts) to give it a lovely garlic infusion, set the bread aside to pop into the toaster at the perfect time.
The Main Event
- Heat up a large fry pan and place your rashers (6) of bacon into the pan (you don’t need any oil, your bacon has got that under control for you). Cook until golden and crispy – or to your taste and then place on a paper towel to drain excess fat.
- Wipe out the fry pan with a paper towel – leaving a little oil to help the eggs cook. Crack in your eggs and cook sunny side up to your desired wobbliness. Season with salt and pepper and then remove from pan.
- Wipe out the fry pan well and drop in your kale and squeeze over a quarter of a lemon – stir until slightly wilted and glossy green, then remove from pan before it browns and looks uuuuuglyyy.
- Pop your bread into the toaster and toast to golden perfection.
- Slather your bread with butter you naughty swine, oink!
- Place your bacon onto two of your slices of bread, top with your circles of tomato, your glorious kale and then finally the eggs. Dollop on a hefty serving of your glossy BBQ sauce and then finish with the lid of your sandwich.
- Now prepare yourself piglets, sit back, pour yourself a coffee and beam at the sandwich, because it’s going to be a beautiful day. Oiiiink!