How do you make a sausage roll?
Push it down a hill.
This Little Pig loves to party! Unfortunately running a busy food company isn’t highly conducive to parties and so sometimes This Little Pig has to have a party for 1 on a quiet weekday. Fortunately this is never a time for sadness, as This Little Pig can create party food so good that it’s almost impossible to share. Enter the party room, homemade sausage rolls. The light flakey pastry with the succulent, herbed filling is light and completely moreish. Make your own homemade BBQ relish or just be a lazy swine and dollop out some tomato sauce. Once you’ve tried this recipe you will pause before inviting friends to your parties, as this is one food item you definitely will not want to share. Enjoy dear piglets, enjoy.
Homemade Sausage Rolls
Prep Time: 30 Mins. Cooking Time: 60 Mins.
Feeds 1- 10 Hungry Piglets (depending on levels of greediness).
1kg x Italian Sausages (good quality – pork & fennel are nice too)
2 x Garlic Cloves
1 x Brown Onion
2 x Tbs Worcesteshire Sauce
1 x Tbs Mixed Herbs
1 x Tbs Paprika
½ x Parsley Bunch
½ x Mint Bunch
2 x Tbs Tomato Sauce
2 x Free Range Egg
¼ x Preserved Lemon Cheek
5 x Sheets Puff Pastry
2 x Tbs Milk
Lashing of Salt & Pepper
How to Make Fabulousness:
- Take you puff pastry sheets out of the freezer to defrost gently on the bench.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Finely skin & dice your onion & garlic.
- Dice your mint, parsley & preserved lemon.
- Cut open your sausages and squeeze the meat out of the skin into a mixing bowl and discard the skin.
- Pour into the bowl, with the sausages, your paprika (1 Tbs), mixed herbs (1 Tbs), Worcesteshire sauce, salt and pepper to your tastebuds, diced fresh herbs, onion, garlic & preserved lemon and crack in one of your eggs.
- With clean hands mix your sausage mince through the seasonings until well mixed.
- Cut your puff pastry in half and spoon out 1 Tbs thick sausage mix lengthways and in the middle, along your 2 puff pastry halves.
- Fold one side over the sausage mixture firmly and then the other side.
- Take a pastry brush (though this little pig in moments of desperation has used a paper towel) and dip it into the milk and then dab over where the pastry folds, to glue it down.
- Take a sharp knife and gently cut the pastry roll into sausage roll sized bites) around 5 cm.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and then place your little sausage rolls onto the tray around 2 cm’s apart.
- Take your remaining egg and crack into a bowl and whisk.
- Using your pastry brush again, brush the top of all of your sausage rolls with the whisked egg – this makes it glorious and golden.
- Place in the oven for 45mins-1hr or until golden and crisp on the outside and just cooked through and tender on the inside.
- Serve with homemade BBQ relish or your good old-fashioned tomato sauce… now dive in with delight piglets, just don’t burn your tongue, oink!