Sometimes it is the simple things in life that give This Little Pig the most happiness. The simple thing in this instance, is the perfect steak, cooked a little bit naughty but oh so deliciously. Thick, juicy & seared to medium rare perfection, it can be admitted only here dear friends, that sometimes This Little Pig’s teeth can ache at the thought of a good steak (close your ears dear herbivore friends). In the spirit of this fabulous meat, This Little Pig whizzed up a quick and easy béarnaise sauce, threw some chips in the oven & seared a steak in the pan. It. Was. Heaven. Dear. Piglets.
Now certainly there are healthier ways to cook steak out there, but this weekend This Little Pig was feeling a little bit naughty and using their good friend (in their heads) Gordon Ramsay's method, cooked the perfect steak.
The Perfect Steak
Serves: 2 Hungry Piglets.
Prep Time: 5 Mins. Cooking Time: 30 Mins.
Ingredients - Steak:
2 x 250g Scotch Fillet Steak
2 x Tbs Butter
4 x Australian Garlic Cloves
2 x Tbs Olive Oil
½ x Thyme Bunch
Salt & Pepper to season
Ingredients – Béarnaise Sauce:
110g x Butter
1 x Tbs Lemon Juice
1 x Tbs White Wine Vinegar
.5 x Bunch Fresh Garlic Chives
1 x Tbs Dried Italian Herbs or Tarragon
2 x Egg Yolks (Free Range)
¼ x Tsp Salt
¼ x Tsp Pepper
Ingredients – Chip Seasoning:
1 x Tsp Paprika
1 x Tsp Chicken Stock
1 x Tsp Salt
1 x Rosemary Stem (pull leaves off stem)
1 x Tsp Garlic Salt
1 x Tsp Sumac
2 x Tbs Olive Oil
6 x Small Potatoes
How to make potato chip deliciousness:
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees and line a tray with baking paper.
- Slice your potatoes into wedges and toss your chip seasoning through the wedges.
- Place wedges in microwave for 8 minutes or until starting to soften.
- Pop wedges into the oven on the lined tray for 20 mins or until crunchy, golden and cooked through.
How to make easy béarnaise sauce deliciousness:
- Place all your béarnaise sauce items into a small pot on a medium heat.
- Whisk constantly until all ingredients have melted.
- Continue to whisk until it has thickened, then remove from heat immediately to avoid it separating and looking like absolute rubbish (just kidding piglets but seriously, don’t leave it on the heat).
How to make steak deliciousness:
- Be sure to remove steaks from fridge 30 mins before cooking to bring to room temperature (they cook more evenly this way).
- Season your steaks with salt and pepper (really give them a good massage.
- Heat pan until hot to trot & pour in your 2 Tbs of olive oil.
- Lay your steaks away from you into the hot pan – we want to hear a hefty sizzle.
- Turn steaks every 30 seconds for 5-8 mins. (Depending on the thickness of your steak & your desired finish i.e. rare, medium etc). For a medium finish, when you poke your steak, it should have the same texture as the fleshy bit of your palm – fun fact.
- Make sure you sear all sides, including the fatty strip along the back to really get the flavours going & get a nice crust on all sides.
- After around 3 minutes crush your garlic cloves with the back of a knife & leaving the skin on, toss into your pan with the 2 Tbs of butter & fresh thyme sprigs.
- Take a spoon and lavish the delicious butter, thyme & garlic repeatedly over your steaks to get them tasting glorious.
- Remember to turn every 30 seconds – this makes the steak cook evenly throughout.
- When you have reached steak perfection, pull out of the pan & let rest for 3-5 mins.
- Place on a lovely board, drizzle over your béarnaise sauce & serve with your crunchy wedges. What a manly dish! Oink!