“I bet you a button mushroom, I can fall asleep faster than you,” stated Jessica to Katherine after a particularly long day of deliveries at Little Pig HQ in the ‘napping room.’ Indeed she did fall asleep quicker than Katherine and later on that afternoon, button mushrooms were exchanged with muttered, “congratulations Jessica.”
So what does one do when they have won a lot of button mushrooms in a risky gamble, I hear you ask? Well dear piglets, one simply makes the most glorious mushroom, lemon thyme and goats cheese bruschetta you have ever laid your eyes on. All, ‘what a funghi’ jokes aside, mushrooms are such a wonderful vegetable. This Little Pig likes to call mushrooms, ‘the meat of the vegetarian world’, rich in iron, taste and deliciousness, any vegetarian that wanders across This Little Pig’s door is often stuffed full of them in different capacities, “I hoooope you like Mushrooooooms”. Whether it is a glossy field mushroom with a butter, thyme & panko breadcrumb stuffing or a enoki mushroom stirfry seared and tender, This Little Pig loves its versatile earthy tones and it’s ability to soak up the flavour (close your eyes grazing herbivore friends - it’s also fabulous with red meat).
So anyway, enough blathering about the delights of this wonderful family called ‘the mushroom’ let’s eat him! Mwa hahaha!
Goats Cheese, Lemon Thyme & Mixed Mushroom Bruschetta
Feeds: 2 Hungry Piglets. Prep Time: 5 Mins. Cooking Time: 5 Mins.
30g x Goats Cheese
3 x Australian Garlic Cloves
1 x Enoki Mushroom Bunch
6 x Button Mushrooms
10 x Oyster Mushrooms
1 x Field Mushroom
2 x Tbs Butter + butter for your bread if that’s your thing
2 x Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
1 x Tbs Soy Sauce
4 x Slices Fresh Sourdough Bread
1/2 x Chive Bunch
25g x Parsley
10 x Lemon Thyme Sprigs
Salt & Pepper to taste
How to Make This Beauty:
- Slice field mushrooms into 2cm thick slices.
- Slice button mushrooms into 1 cm slices.
- Chop off enoki mushroom root.
- Halve oyster mushrooms lengthways.
- Finely slice your garlic into slivers.
- Finely dice parsley, chives & pull thyme leaves off the stem.
- Toast your sourdough bread until crunchy & golden, then slather with butter.. (if This Little Pig's dietician aunty is reading this however, sparingly scrape with ‘lite margarine’).
- Melt your 2 Tbs of butter in a hot pan until bubbling.
- Throw in your garlic slices and stir until starting to turn golden.
- Pour in your field mushroom & button mushroom slices and stir around.
- Add in your Worcestershire & Soy sauce & ¼ cup of water and continue to stir until starting to soften.
- Add in your enoki & oyster mushrooms and stir, until starting to soften.
- At the last minute stir through your fresh parsley, thyme & chives.
- Place your crunchy toast onto a board, dollop your mixed mushroom goodness on top & crumble goats cheese over the mushrooms.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with delight. Oink.
This Little Pig guarantees that there will be not 'mushroom' left in your belly after these beauties. (Ha. Ha. Ha).